One of the reasons I disliked living in our last house was the lack of separation between the living room and the playroom. As in, there was none. If anyone ever came over we opened the front door and there were all the toys! Our living room was the playroom! I hated that. I longed for a dedicated space to store all of boys’ play things. A place we can sit at a table coloring or doing kiddie crafts. A place with a cushy sofa where we can all sink in for story time. A place where I can shut the door and pretend my house is clean when we have guests.
Now we have it and I’ve been so excited to get it organized and decorated. You know, so they can ransack it and tear down my decorations. See, I’m not that unrealistic.
Here is the room before we moved in
I don’t feel much like painting the room right now. When we finish the basement this room will become a guest room/office so I don’t want to repaint in the future. So for now I have decided to infuse color with accessories instead.
I created my first mood board (yay, me!) and I just happen to love it. We’re going with fun, primary colors in here!
1. We already have an older love seat with a cream-colored surefit slipcover. It’s not the prettiest sofa but it’s comfy and great for story time!
2. I have been seeing so many photos of expedit bookshelves and I fell in love it. Unfortunately ikea doesn’t think Missourians like their furniture (boo on them). I have been scouring craiglist just waiting for the chance to snatch one up. Finally, after two months of searching someone listed one! And I didn’t even have to pay the ridiculous shipping fees. It looks amazing in the room and I can’t wait to add my touches to it!
3. I purchased this colorful kid’s table on sale from World Market. It is so cute and I like that I can actually sit at the table with my boys!
4. You know that boring sofa? It needs some pillows. I found these personalized pillows on etsy and I think they would be perfect for the space.
5. The light fixture in this room is builder grade. I would like to do change it up and a pendant light from Rosenberry Rooms is the current front runner. It’s kind of expensive though. I wish I could just DIY it.
6. I want to have a few colorful prints in the room. This fun print from etsy is exactly what I am looking for but I’m thinking I might try to DIY these too.
7. This art cable system from Pottery Barn Kids is on sale and has already been ordered. Can’t wait!
A few more things that I have to think about are window treatments and a big colorful rug to anchor the space. I am undecided on these pieces for now.
The part of the room I love so much is the built in storage bench. It holds so many toys and would make a great little reading nook (even for me!). I just need to make some kind of seat cover and add a couple pillows!
So what do you think? Any great ideas to add? I have definitely been bitten by the decorating bug but it’s slow going. Hopefully the playroom will come together someday soon. The boys aren’t waiting for the finished product. They are already enjoying it plenty.