Old habits die hard. Like really hard.

So, there’s a theme going on this month in the blogosphere where some are choosing one word to concentrate on in 2012. I immediately thought it was a good idea. I usually write out a long list of goals for the New Year and forget about them. My brain is much too muddled with daily thoughts and to-do lists to complete any of them. And then I end up feeling bad that I even made a list at all.

But one word? I felt like I could handle that. I mean, it’s just one word after all.

So I sat on it for awhile. I knew I needed a brand new one. And I wanted to pick one so far out of my comfort zone that I couldn’t even see it. Let’s just say my word is not even showing up on the map . . . yet.

image via pinterest

My word for 2012 is positive.

See? I told you it was out of my comfort zone. I have been a negative nellie (or is it nancy?) for a long time. Probably since high school. So that’s like fifteen years or so. SHUT UP. You’ll be in your thirties someday too.

My therapist has been telling me that I have perfected the art of negative self-talk and am the world’s best complainer. She said to change that behavior I first have to become aware that I’m even doing it. And I’ve never been aware. People don’t tell me. But I’m sure they’re like, wah, wah, wah. Debbie downer.

Since I came up with my word I find that I’m working the word positive into my vocabulary. Positive is starting to show up more. I can almost see it in the distance.

For instance, last night I was complaining about work and before I even finished the first sentence I knew what I was doing was against the word I picked. Old habits die hard, don’t they? I shook it off and thought, stop it. That’s not positive.

Naaman called me Captain Complainey. And I told him that I would try harder. It’s only January, right? That means that I have 11 months to work on it.

What if you picked a word? What would it be? I’d love for you to share it in the comments!

Comments

I think that is a fantastic word. It will always be in the back of your mind when all those nasty negative troll like thoughts come out.
    For me my word is Family.
    While I was “here” last year, I wasn’t present.
    I want to be present for them and soak them in. THey’re the ones that pulled me through. I need to love every minute of them this year and always.
    I also want to remember that no matter how dark things may get, that my family is there for me. They love me. They are fighting for me.
    Kimberly recently posted..I’m A Pretty Big Thing In H-Town

2. Dawn says

I like the word “dream” and other words that can be used as both a noun or verb (dance, love, etc.) I have a 3-d wood sculpture of the word “dream” that sits on the window sill next to my bed. It is the first word I see when I go to bed at night and reminds me to have a good dream and get a good night’s rest. It is also the first word I see when I wake up in the morning to remind me to dream big every day. I like it – it makes me feel good – it is “positive!” :)

I can’t think of one specific word…but I think my hope for this year is just to have it be more about God, and less about me.

Do you keep a gratitude journal or a list of blessings or anything like that? I tend to be a pessimist too, but I’ve noticed that has helped a LOT!
    Meredith @ La Buena Vida recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

• says

I have kept a gratitude journal before but I stopped long ago. It’s probably time to start that back up again. It would be a great way for me to focus on the POSITIVE.

I love this, and ditto to Meredith’s idea! A really good book to read to help with this is “One Thousand Gifts” by Ann Voskamp. She helps you see the beauty in every day little things.
    Megan recently posted..Writers block.

I never heard of picking a word until this year when I’ve been reading people’s posts. I love this idea, though I haven’t narrowed mine down to one word just yet. I have a couple in mind, like present, family, and happiness. Happiness is a big thing that I’ve been working on lately.
    Kimberly recently posted..Happiness Through The Tears

Trackbacks

1. [...] I started the 31 days to Build a Better Blog challenge (#SITS31DBBB), which is run through The Sits Girls website. I purchased the e-book and tried to follow along each day but I’ve lost steam. No offense to the guy that wrote the program but I just don’t see how this will help me grow my blog. I’ve pretty much done everything he is suggesting. I’m still frustrated at how much my blog has “slowed down” in the way of traffic. But I’ll just keep truckin’ along. I truly believe that good things will happen for me. And I know there are people out there that love “Mollywood” just like I do. I’m staying positive! [...]

2. [...] of you. Your zen energy is zapped and all that’s left is a tired, broken, blah person. It was one of my goals for the year to nip this kind of behavior in the bud. And because I’m not perfect, I’ll [...]